Robert A. Smith, Owner
There is no substitute for experience and 40 years in the construction industry has equipped the R.A. Smith Construction team for the challenge of today’s market. Bob started his career in the field becoming a licensed contractor and holding a journeymen’s card in Illinois’s carpenter union. In the early 80's, he moved to East Lansing Michigan to run a general contracting company. It was there that the opportunity to work in the product and technical support end of the business started.
Beginning with Managing window distribution. Then serving as architectural reps for such prominent companies as Pella Windows and Marvin Windows, Bob worked in the Northern Illinois and Wisconsin area as an advisor to the construction industry. Holding the first historic preservation conference in Milwaukee, Bob headed early efforts to make the building industry understand the importance of preserving our building treasures.
The late nineties and the beginning of this century, Bob would move to Charlotte then to Charleston as Sales Manager for two of the largest custom stair companies in the Southeast where he worked extensively in custom millwork and design. In 2006, Bob started his journey back to contracting and his first love as a design build contractor. R.A. Smith Construction has since produced award winning renovations and emerged in the Charleston market as a prominent source for the renovation needs of the area.
Jacob Smith, Lead Contractor
With countless years of on-the-job training, and raised under his father's expertise, Jacob Smith has developed the knowledge and skills to obtain the finest accreditation it takes to become a certified contractor. After receiving his Bachelor's Degree at the University of North Carolina Charlotte, Jacob moved to Charleston, South Carolina to gain a family of two children and his wife beside him. With over 10 accredited years behind his belt, Jacob has done a remarkable job upholding the respectable and outstanding work that goes into the countless restoration and remodeling jobs that R.A. Smith Construction takes on week to week.
R.A. Smith Construction has a love and passion for remodeling and renovating homes. Getting rid of the 'dated' look and bringing a home up to today's standards can be a challenge. With R.A. Smith Construction, they take on that challenge and the results are a huge success on both the new look of the homes and the value increase as well!
To preserve the historic integrity of the structure.
To make the structure functional in today's world.
To use modern mechanical systems that are both efficient and effective.
To enhance, not alter, the original intent of the structure.
How did the wonderful architecture and character of the historic homes of Charleston become abandoned and replaced with brick ranch home in the 50's, 60's and 70's?
Primarily, the historic homes were cold in the winter and extremely hot in the summer. This was difficult to maintain and had expensive utility costs.
To take today's technology and integrate that technology and innovation into the buildings of the past. To rethink the spaces and layout of the structure, to enhance the livability and convenience of the building. To incorporate design and function in such a way as to not just preserve, but give the building back it's grandeur. It can be done, but it takes creativity, knowledge of today's building innovations and techniques, a respect for the original architecture and character of the home, experience, and a lot of hard work.
Our carefully designed and proven New Home Construction, Home Remodeling and Home Renovation Process gives you the confidence of knowing what happens when. Understanding this detailed process up front helps you better visualize the steps required to deliver the finished project that you desire and helps the project adhere to our agreed-upon deadline.
RA Smith Construction follows our written Best Practices and Procedures guidelines, based upon our hands-on experiences as a remodeling contractor and new home construction contractor working in the field. In addition, we use in-house Construction Project Management Software to facilitate your new home construction, home remodeling or home renovation process and to accurately project timelines.
40+ Years Experience
Custom Cabinetry and Millwork
Breathtaking interior/exterior add-ons
Hand-Crafted Staircase Design
Our New Home Construction, Remodeling and Renovation Process
- Contractor and prospective client meet at the project site to have a healthy exchange of questions and answers about the project and process. This dialogue enables the contractor to understand the scope of the project, as well as the client's needs, expectations, investment goals and decision-making process. Please allow about 1 to 1.5 hours for this meeting. At the conclusion of the meeting, we can then decide if we are a good fit for each other and if there are mutual reasons to move to the next step.
- Client and contractor have a second, follow-up meeting at the project site to review the goals of the project as well as the project's scope, and contractor provides client with a preliminary estimate of the project's cost. Assuming all questions have been answered and both the contractor and client are comfortable and ready to move ahead, the next step to start the Project Planning Process would be to enter into a Project Planning Agreement. Please allow about 1.5 hours for this meeting, depending on questions and discussion.
- Contractor prepares the final new home construction, remodeling or renovation plan.
- RA Smith Construction works with client to establish allowances for material selections and/or client finalizes interior and exterior finish choices, such as tile, fixtures, hardware, paint, etc., as appropriate.
- RA Smith Construction then prepares the final "fixed cost" project cost estimate based on the client's final decisions and interior design selections.
- Client and contractor review and sign the final "fixed cost" construction or remodeling agreement.
- RA Smith Construction obtains all necessary residential building permits and Homeowner Association approvals.
- Contractor has an on-site review of the new home construction, remodeling or renovation process and project timeline with the client.
- For a remodeling or renovation project, deconstruction begins and construction follows. For a new home construction project, site clearing and foundation work begins.
- Contractor has weekly on-site project reviews with client and subcontractors regarding the project's progression.
- Contractor schedules all residential building inspections.
- Contractor has final walk through of project with the client.
- Client enjoys newly remodeled or renovated project, addition or new custom home.
RA Smith Construction adds value to every client's project by providing them with a "complete" package: a thoroughly analyzed, well-planned, new home construction, remodeling or renovation process that results in professionally executed and quality built finished result; a successful business operation that is there to provide support; and a company that will stand behind your home for years to come.
Preserving the Future
The images of the past frame the picture for life as we know it in the Charleston area. Most of our points of reference begin with places like the Battery - Market Street - Shem Creek - Old Village with gas lanterns flickering in the night - the grand church structures where the great hymns are still heard, and memories of a rich culture and past. But if these buildings are to be more than museums; if they come to life again and provide not only the picture of the past, but also viable for the present -
Our MissionWe take today's technology and integrate that technology and innovation into the buildings of the past. To rethink the spaces and layout of the structure, to enhance the livability and convenience of the building. To incorporate design and function in such a way as to not just preserve but give the building back it's grandeur. It can be done but it takes creativity, knowledge of today's building innovations and techniques, a respect for the original architecture and character of the home, experience, and a lot of hard work.
From Full Home Renovations to Kitchen Restorations, RA Smith Construction is your number one source!